St. Joseph Church
5050 Saint Josephs Rd
Phone: (610) 965-2877
The History of
Saint Joseph Parish
The first Mass for the people of Saint Joseph Parish was celebrated in 1926 at the Limeport Hotel. The Gospel was proclaimed and a sermon was preached in English. At the conclusion of the Mass, a German sermon was preached for the adults. Meanwhile, the children lined the walls of the kitchen where they sat on orange crates and soap boxes as they were instructed in the Faith. It is recalled that the proprietor continued to wash glasses and bottles in the bar room next door.
Prior to that time, this area was considered a part of Sacred Heart Parish in Allentown. As Mass attendance grew, the hotel facilities proved inadequate and Mass was celebrated at the neighboring farmhouse at the corner of Limeport Pike and Saint Joseph’s Road.
Saint Joseph Parish, Limeport, was declared a canonical parish in 1927. With the purchase of the “land on the hill,” a large barn was converted into the church, and the farmhouse was renovated to serve as the rectory. The first pastor was Father Fries, who served for seven years, followed by Father Wiesler who served for eighteen years. Father Holzhauser was appointed pastor in 1952, building the school and a new rectory. In 1952, the parish boundary on the east side of Route 309 was established as a new parish and was named Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
In 1968, Father William P. Hoffner was named pastor and during his 26 years of service to the people of Saint Joseph Parish, he built the present Church and the Parish Center. The first Mass was celebrated in the new church by Father Hoffner on Christmas Eve, 1970. The old farmhouse rectory, which later became the convent for the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart who staffed the school, was sold in 1991 to help defray the cost of the new Parish Center.
In 1994, Father Thomas Buckley was appointed Pastor of Saint Joseph Parish. Because of the continued enrollment increase in the parish school, St. Joseph's Preschool was opened in the primary school building. The parish community also added a softball/baseball field as well as enhancing the recess area with a kickball court, basketball hoop, hopscotch game, and four-square grids.
A Capital Improvement Campaign was initiated in 1997 to supply needed funds to add four classrooms to the parish school building as well as other improvements and renovations to the school and the church.
In a renovation project during 2008, the current primary school library and Kindergarten classrooms were expanded. In 2013, St. Joseph's Preschool received a full renovation, including an addition which hosts a bathroom, snack/art room and kitchenette, as well as a separate entrance.
Throughout the history of Saint Joseph Parish, the parishioners have worked faithfully and God has provided a parish campus of which we can all be proud.
All Parish events are currently CANCELLED OR POSTPONED to a future date, to be determined.
Please note that we cannot allow anyone in the School or Parish Center until further notice.
Diocese of Allentown - Coronavirus: Latest Updates can be found by visiting www.ad-today.com.
Sign up for the
St. Joseph Church Newsletter!
Stay in touch through your email inbox - Sign up today to receive our weekly parish newsletter!
to learn more about our Parish School
Inspiring Faith-Filled Leaders.